Last Sunday we celebrated Mother’s Day. As I planned for worship, I came across a resource from GodSpace that reminds us how many of Jesus’ parables are images of what a mother does for us:
· As a mother nurtures and feeds us, God feeds us in the feeding of the 5,000.
· As a mother binds up the skinned knee of her child, God binds up our wounds in the story of the Good Samaritan.
· As a mother comforts and surrounds her children with love, So God surrounds us.
· As a mother bears a child’s pain and suffers with us when we hurt, so Jesus bore our pain on the cross.
· As a mother believes in and brings to fulfillment the hopes and dreams of her children, so God believes in and nurtures our hopes and dreams.
As a response to thinking about the motherly love of God, I encourage you to take time to sit with your eyes closed thinking about your mother.
What characteristics best describe her? Write these down.
Now think of the parables of Jesus. Which of these parables reflect the mothering characteristics that you wrote down? Make a list of these parables and write next to each the mothering characteristics they portray.
Reflect on what you have written. How does this enhance your understanding of the mother heart of God?
Peace, Rev. Gail